Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Walking Dead

No, I am not talking about the TV series, The Walking Dead, but about functioning and going through a day with fibromyalgia.

People with fibro experience brain fog and fatigue and to be honest, it makes me feel like I am a zombie sometimes.

I can be walking down a hallway and close my eyes some of the time from the exhaustion that envelops me. I know that it is dangerous, but there are times that I don't have an option. The same thing goes when I am sitting at a desk or in any familiar area. It just seems like I go through the day like a zombie.

There are times when I go from place to place and don't even recall the journey there. It's as if I was in a fog and then suddenly arrived without any recollection of where I've been. As strange as that sounds, that is EXACTLY what it is like.

It's a scary feeling and one that I have to control so that I do not nod off all together, but it is very difficult to deal with.

Coping Techniques include:
  • Getting a good FULL night's sleep the day before
  • Not overdoing it during the course of the day
  • Giving yourself a chance to rest in between big tasks during the day
  • Shortening/modifying your work schedule (if you can)
  • Do what you can on your "good" days 
  • Plan your days with the most stressful tasks in the morning if you can
  • Remember humor. It helps to be able to laugh at the situation.
Today was a classic example for me. I thought that today was Friday (It's Wednesday) and I put on my jeans and Titan's Jersey and proceeded to head out the door. My office is business casual during the week, but casual on Fridays (where you can wear a team shirt or jersey to support your favorite team).  If not for my youngest son questioning my attire, I would've made quite a statement. :)

So, today, I am foggy and walking around barely making my way, but I'll get there.

No comments: