Monday, September 8, 2003

In The Beginning

Well, I've decided to start a journal to track what I am going through. I'm doing this to better to understand what it is that I am going through and to help others, when I find out what it is.

Today, the pain got to the point that my wife asked me to make a doctor's appointment. I reluctantly agreed, knowing that I was having more than incidental pain. My appointment is this Friday @ 9:00am. My first thoughts were that I had some type of bone cancer, but after doing a lot of reading, I've pretty much ruled that out. It's not that I'm a doctor, but I do consider myself reasonably intelligent, plus have a pseudo-medical background. I next settled on the fact that I might have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I remember breaking my right ankle when I was 11 or 12 years-old. I had pain in it afterwards and was told by my doctor that I had Juvenile Arthritis. I was told to take one Ecotrin tablet a day. Something happened along the way when I was growing up and I stopped taking them as the pain was gone.

Anyway, this is what helped me think that I might have RA. I investigated it, but the only symptom that I have is pain. I don't have swelling or a fever, etc. A search through Yahoo! for "chronic body joint pain" led to a few sites that discussed Fibromyalgia. In reading through them, it appears that I might have it as there are a lot of stiking similarities. I told my wife what I thought that it was. She was very receptive and relieved that at least it sounded like a treatable condition.

No comments: