Thursday, March 15, 2007

Brain Zaps

I know that it sounds weird, but I've been having an "unusual" feeling in my head acompanied by dizziness and mild nausea. In looking through some of the withdrawal side effects of Cymbalta, I found one called "brain zaps" or "brain shocks". In looking it up, I discovered that that is probably what I am having. Any rapid movement of my eyes or head causes these "zaps".

Wikipedia says that,

The brain shiver effect appears to be almost unique to those antidepressant chemicals that have an extremely short half-life in the body; that is, they are quick to disappear completely. This attribute of abruptness leaves the brain a relatively short time to adapt to a major neurochemical change when the medication is stopped, and the symptoms may be caused by the brain's readjustment. There is no evidence that the shivers present any danger to the patient experiencing them.

No comments: